InterContinental Hotels & Resorts
Director of Housekeeping - InterContinental NY Times Square
New York-New York City
InterContinental Hotels & Resorts
Who we are
InterContinental Hotels & Resorts believes that superior, understated service and outstanding facilities are important, but what makes us truly different is the genuine interest we show in our guests. At InterContinental, it is every team memberâ€™s desire to help guests make the most of their time. Every day, we connect our well-travelled guests to whatâ€™s special about a destination, by sharing our knowledge so they enjoy authentic experiences that will enrich their lives and broaden their outlook.
We promise you Room to be yourself
We want to attract and retain the best people, engage our employees, recognize their effort and give everyone at IGH room to individually make a difference. Our commitment to our employees is Room to be yourself, encouraging you to bring your unique talents and the same enthusiasm to work as you do to your hobbies. Our actions are guided by our values - our Winning Ways - which describe our personality as a company, how we treat our guests and how we treat each other. It's these values that set us apart as a business and help to achieve our goal of creating Great Hotels Guests Love.
Do you see yourself as a Director of Housekeeping at InterContinental New York Times Square?
What's your passion? Whether you're into knitting, football or family time, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team. This challenging position has overall responsibility for managing the housekeeping and laundry operation to ensure product quality standards are met and that optimum service is provided to hotel guests.
The InterContinental New York Times Square is in the heart of the Broadway District and within walking distance to 40 theaters and the famous Times Square. The New York fashion, financial and commercial districts are nearby as well as spectacular sights, city landmarks and incredible shopping. The InterContinental New York Times Square, opened in July 2010 and designed by the global architecture firm Gensler, offers 607 luxurious and modern rooms, rising 34 stories above the dynamic Eighth Avenue development corridor. The Hotel features Todd English's Ca Va Restaurant and Lounge where one can experience a wonderful Brasserie menu in an active setting.
Manage the housekeeping and laundry operation to ensure product quality standards are met and that optimum service is provided to hotel guests according to hotel and company business objectives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Manage the day-to-day activities of the housekeeping department, plan, schedule, and organize work to ensure proper coverage. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures.
* Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
* Ensure all staff is properly trained and has the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their respective job duties.
* Develop and implement procedures for managing the quality of housekeeping and laundry services. Schedule routine inspections of all guest rooms and public areas to ensure furnishings, guest rooms/suites, equipment, housekeeping and food and beverage linens, public restrooms, lobby, etc. are clean and in good repair to meet guest satisfaction. Ensure that employees are advised of deficiencies and instructed on corrective action.
* Monitor, coordinate and execute the special needs and requests of VIP, repeat guests and members of frequency program(s).
* Respond to guest complaints and special requests, and ensure corrective action is taken to achieve complete guest satisfaction.
* Control expenses within all areas of housekeeping. Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget and financial plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel.
* Conduct comprehensive departmental meetings to include a review of procedures and events which warrant special handling and detailed information.
* Conduct pre-shift meeting and review all information pertinent to the day's activities.
* Establish par levels for supplies and equipment. Replenish shortages and other business supplies for daily business.
* Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Front Office, Guest Relations, Maintenance, and Food and Beverage
* Interact with outside contacts:
Guests - to ensure their total satisfaction
Vendors/Contractors - to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
Regulatory agencies - regarding safety and compliance matters
Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, community groups, local media)
* May be responsible for the security of lost and found items or coordinate the lost and found function with other departments.
* May assist with deep cleaning projects and/or assist housekeeping staff during unanticipated rush periods.
* May serve as manager on duty as required.
* May assist with other duties as assigned.
This is the top job in the housekeeping department. Typically manages a large number of housekeeping and laundry employees in a full-service, luxury, resort, or major flagship hotel which may include multiple sites and facilities, a number of major outlets, high volume of catering and convention facilities, and a large number of VIP and key guests.
Qualifications and Requirements:
College degree plus 5-7 years housekeeping/laundry experience preferably in a hotel of similar size and complexity and including supervisory experience. Must speak fluent English. Other languages preferred. Candidate must have 3-5 years previous experience working in a New York City Union Environment.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
* Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds and pushing and or pulling approximately 200 pounds
* Frequently standing up and moving about the facility
* Frequently handling objects and equipment to maintain the facility
* Frequently bending, stooping, and kneeling
* Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
* Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, interpreting results, giving and receiving instructions, and training
* Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
* Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
* May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
• EMAIL TO A FRIEND
• OTHER JOBS
InterContinental Hotels Group
Website : http://www.ihgplc.com/
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC of the United Kingdom [LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] is the world's largest hotel group by number of rooms. InterContinental Hotels Group owns, manages, leases or franchises, through various subsidiaries, over 3,650 hotels and 540,000 guest rooms in nearly 100 countries and territories around the